The Redhourse Review was an authorized monthy publication of the Army, published by the Information Office, 3d Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry, in Di An, Republic of Vietnam. Volume 1, Number 1 was apparently published in October 1969. Bob Bennett, who served with Delta Troop, 3/17th from July 1969 to July 1970, saved Volume 1, Numbers 4-7 and 9 (January through July 1970, missing the June issue). Below is the all the text of all these issues as it applies to Delta Troop. We have no idea when the Review ceased publication, but there were no copies in evidence by November 1970.

The Redhorse Review was unillustrated, except for cartoons and very modest cheesecake photos. We have added photos and Vietnam Memorial records in those places where we can add a face or a place to the story.

We hope that you find the information as fascinating as we do. Even if you did not serve with Delta Troop during the time recorded here, you will probably find that the stories ring true. For example, most Delta Troopers went to Nhon Trach. We were always going back to Nhon Trach. Perhaps you will find something familiar in the Nhon Trach stories told here.

From the February 1970 issue of Redhorse Review


January 1970 was a month of mixed emotions for the Delta Troop Blue Tigers. The month began on a regretful note when, on January 2, 1970, the Blue Tigers suffered the loss of two fine men. SSG Willie J. Hayes and PFC Barney M. Smith were killed in action, and 1LT Bennie K. Dale was seriously wounded, when the third platoon was ambushed by an unknown size enemy force while on a support mission for the 75th Infantry LRRPs. Although 1LT Dale was seriously wounded in the heavy automatic weapons fire, he retained control of his platoon directing a base of fire, and calling in gunships. 1LT Dale has made a speedy recovery, and has personally assumed the duties as S-5 Officer in the 3d Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry Headquarters. [See update.]

The picture brightened, however, as the month rolled on. The second platoon Blue Tigers uncovered five caches. Altogether the second platoon deprived the enemy of: two .30 cal carbines; one SKS; 13 sewing machines; assorted sewing machine parts; assorted clothing, material, and foodstuffs to include powdered milk, 50 pounds of beans & corn, and 1000 pounds of rice. Also, while making their reconnaissance sweeps through the suspected enemy area the Blue Tigers found many hooches and bunkers. These bunkers were destroyed, and the rest of the equipment and goods were brought back and turned over for intelligence purposes.

On January 21, 1970, the 75th Infantry LRRP's found an enemy base camp containing some 200-250 bunkers and hooches. Beginning on the 25th of January, the Blue Tigers began working a four day mission with the LRRPs to recon the area. The third platoon led by 1LT Keith Kudla from East Patterson, NJ, led his platoon into War Zone D to secure a landing zone for the four day mission. Joining the third platoon later was 1LT Patrick Moe from Deer Lodge, Montana, and the men of the first platoon. Their first objective was to establish a temporary base camp from which the first platoon and the LRRPs could conduct four days of reconnaissance missions. After reconning the area, and gathering all possible intelligence, the enemy base camp will be destroyed.

Lt. Keith Kudla
From the Robert Bennett Collection

From Official U.S. Army Records


--- General / Personal ---

Last name: HAYES
First name: WILLIE JAMES
Home of Record (official): GREENVILLE
State (official): MS
Date of Birth: Wednesday, January 1, 1947
Sex: Male
Race: Negro
Marital Status: Single

--- Military ---

Branch: Army
Rank: SSG
Serial Number: 426923007
Component: Regular
Pay grade: E6
MOS (Military Occupational Specialty code): 11D40
Major Organization: 1st Aviation Bde

--- Action ---

Start of Tour: Thursday, April 17, 1969
Date of Casualty: Friday, January 2, 1970
Age at time of loss: 23
Casualty type: (A1) Hostile, died
Reason: Gun, small arms fire (Ground casualty)
Country: South VietNam
Province: Long Khanh
The Wall: Panel 15W - Row 119


--- General / Personal ---

Last name: SMITH
First name: BARNEY MC COY
Home of Record (official): HOLLY HILL
State (official): FL
Date of Birth: Wednesday, August 24, 1949
Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian
Marital Status: Married

--- Military ---

Branch: Army
Rank: PFC
Serial Number: 266884949
Component: Selective Service
Pay grade: E3
MOS (Military Occupational Specialty code): 11D10
Major Organization: 1st Aviation Bde

--- Action ---

Start of Tour: Sunday, October 5, 1969
Date of Casualty: Friday, January 2, 1970
Age at time of loss: 20
Casualty type: (A1) Hostile, died
Reason: Gun, small arms fire (Ground casualty)
Country: South VietNam
Province: Long Khanh
The Wall: Panel 15W - Row 120


Awards and Decorations

BS "V"

PFC Barney M. Smith
SSG Willie J. Hayes
1LT Bennie K. Dale


SFC Nehemiah Lewis
SP4 Gregory Cole

BS (S)

SSG Willie J. Hayes


PFC Barney M. Smith
SP4 Jimmie L. Holton

Purple Hearts

PFC Barney M. Smith
SSG Willie J. Hayes
1LT Bennie K. Dale


to SFC

Pollard, Anderson

to SSG

Mirales, Michael

to SGT

Nixon, George D.
Simms, David M.

to SP4

Bowman. Ernest V.
Davis, Glenn V.
DeMusey, William S.
Gibson, George
Johnson, Johnny
Kroepel. Arthur
Lanier, Donald C.
Michaels, Michael J.
Nelson, Roy, Jr.
Pierce, Eugene, R.
Rogers, Freddie S.
Scanlon, Paul F.
Simmerson, John F.
Smith, Warren L.
Socey, Charles C.
Webb, John A.
Zwetow, Jerry L.

to PFC

Benson, Robert D.
Daniel, Michael
Paty, Garry W.
Robillard, Kenneth
Smith, Danny C.

William S. DeMusey
From the Bill DeMusey Collection

Donald C. Lanier
From the Don Miller collection

Best Unit Supply To Blue Tigers

The quarter's Logistical Readiness Plaque for the top unit supply goes to the Blue Tigers of "D" Troop.

The award is presented to Delta Troop in recognition of a job well done for the months of October through December [1969]. The person chiefly responsible for D Troop receiving the award is SFC Frederick Curry, the unit's supply sergeant. SFC Curry's hard work and professionalism combined with the efforts of SGT Gary Dowdy, SP/4 Jerry Slattery, and PFC Glen Davis over the past 90 days have earned themselves and the troop the right to display proudly the plaque for the best unit supply.

Delta Has Best Mess For the Quarter

The Logistical Readiness Plaque for the best mess facility over the past three months has been awarded to Delta Troop.

Delta Troop's continuous high standing during all mess inspections conducted by the squadron and other inspections was primarily responsible for their being named the recepient of this award.

The persons most instrumental in Delta Troop's mess operations are:

SFC Alfred Piress
SP4 Lowell Blumenthal
SP4 Howard Jamison
PFC Tim Bilbrey
PFC Donald Sheired

From the March 1970 issue of Redhorse Review


by SP4 David Smith

Delta Troop's role as a well rounded, well trained, combat unit was put to the test this past month.

The month began as the command of Delta Troop passed into the hands of CPT Ralph S. Bryner, on Febuary 2, 1970. CPT Bryner who hails from Charleroi, PA, assumed the command of Delta Troop after serving at S-4, 12th Aviation Group. CPT William R. Condos, Jr., who commanded the Blue Tigers from August 1, 1969 to February 2, 1970, is now working in Squadron S-3.

The first six days of the month (during Tet) the Blue Tigers undertook the mission of providing 24 hour security patrols and night ambush positions in Widow's Village, located near Bien Hoa. It was suspected, and rightly so, that this village would be one of Charlie's targets during Tet since it houses many wives and widows of ARVN soldiers. Although the Blue Tigers received some sporadic enemy fire in the area, the VC made no attempt to take on the Blue Tigers.

As February rolled on, Delta Troop began a program of passing on their knowledge as a true leg outfit to the men of Charlie Troop. On February 7, Delta Troop conducted classes in such subjects as artillery adjustment, gathering field combat intelligence, and working with LRRP teams. Elements of D Troop also conducted daily missions with C Troop in the Xuan Loc area as a ready reaction force for units in that area. The combined training of C and D Troops was put to practical use on the 24th of February, when elements of the first and third platoon Blue Tigers were inserted by C Troop to secure a downed chopper. Several hours later, B Troop picked up the Blue Tigers at the first chopper site, and inserted them again at a second downed chopper which the Blue Tiger element secured until being extracted.

The Blue Tigers, not remaining idle for very long, saw another side of infantry training brought to light on the 24th of February. D Troop was instructed to set up and to man an 81mm mortar site on the Di An berm. Since each platoon has it's own mortar section and organic mortars, Delta Troop was set to go. SP4 H. P. Terry from Bessemer, AL, a Blue Tiger from the 82nd Airborne Division, was placed in charge of the mortarmen. SP4 Terry, an 11 Charlie who fires the 81mm mortar from the hip in tough situations, has had his men firing H and I fire every night. They also provide illumination for the squadron's section of the perimeter.

Captain Ralph S. Bryner
From the Robert Bennett Collection



Bronze Star

CPT William R. Condos Jr.
SFC Anderson Pollard


1LT Patrick Moe
SP5 Kenneth Nakamaejo
SP4 Bobby Collins
SP4 Jackie Hudgens


SGT Gary Dowdy
SGT David Simms
SP4 Roger Kahle
SP4 George Gibson
SP4 James Stephens
SP4 Robert Lopez
SP4 Curtis Morefield
Sp4 Joseph Malseed
SP4 Martial Joseph Jr.

Air Medals

1LT Robert Bennett
SFC Wayne Gillespie
SSG Larry Leedy
SGT James Currier
SGT Lyle Crowe
SGT Donald Stolen
SP4 Rickey Cain
SP4 Pedro Oliva
SP4 Bradly Mandel


to CPT

CPT Ronald E. McEwen

to SGT E-5

SGT William K. Keeney
SGT James L. Sharpe
SGT Howard Jamison
SGT Joseph Alvarado

to SP4

Michael Leopold
James Murray
Angelo White
Herbert Guy
Jesse Hutto
James Hollingsworth
Charles Moses
James Dobson
Robert Rouch
Jerry Overby
Robert Pheasant
William Newall
Ronald Norris
William McKenna

to PFC

Nelson Garcia
Wendell Hill

SFC Wayne Gillespie
From the Robert Bennett Collection

Jerry Overby aka Short Round
From the Robert Bennett Collection


The Tiger den reports that in the last 60 days, the Blue Tigers have kept Victor Charlie on the move.

On the third of February, D Troop's second platoon, led by 1LT Robert Bennett from Valparaiso, Indiana and Platoon Sergeant Wayne Gillespie from Williamsburg, VA, was inserted into War Zone D on the west side of the Song Be River. The Blue Tiger mission was to recon a previous LRRP contact area, and to gather information an equipment left by the VC. After walking through dense bamboo thickets, the scout section of the 2nd platoon found and enemy cache and bunker complex. SSG Michael Mirales from Los Angeles, CA, the scout section squad leader, quickly moved his men off the trail and deployed them in defensive position away from the cache. SSG Mirales then cleared the cache, searching for booby traps, disarming the loaded rocket launchers, and securing the safety's on the B-40 rockets. This particular cache yeilded 13 B-40 rockets, 2 B-40 rocket launchers (loaded), and 5 NVA ruck sacks. After clearing the cache the Blue Tigers reconned a VC base camp which was big enough for about 100 personnel,

The ability to think and react quickly, a Blue Tiger trademark, was well illustrated by their reconnaissance tactics. The second platoon over the past 60 days has uncovered five enemy caches wich included the following: rifles; ammunition; foodstuffs; NVA and VC field equipment; training manuals; VC sewing machines; and enemy documents. The heads-up attitude of the Blue Tigers certainly has taken the growl out of Charles.

SSG Michael Mirales
From the Robert Bennett Collection

From the April 1970 issue of Redhorse Review


by SGT David Smith

At approximately 1045 hours on 22 March, 1970, the first platoon of Delta Troop, 3d Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry was inserted to assist a LRRP team from Company D, 75th Infantry (Rangers) LRRPs, which had made contact when they ventured near an enemy base camp. The Blue Tigers were inserted 200 meters from the LRRP's position and began making their way to join with the LRRPs, who were under enemy fire. Captain Ronald McEwen of Fulton, New York, D Troop's Executive Officer, was acting platoon leader and took a position as walking point. The Tigers joined with the LRRPs and created a perimeter around their position. One LRRP was already wounded, and was medevaced. Coordinating actions with the LRRP commander, gunships were called in and made several sweeps over the area, expending all their munitions. Then the Tigers began to move out towards the base camp. They moved 50 meters to a small berm which was about 50 meters from the first bunker. Upon reaching the berm, Cpt McEwen deployed his men on line behind the berm, established flank and rear security, and conducted a recon by fire on the front bunkers. When no enemy fire was returned, the scout section, consisting of SP4 Duane Lambert, SP4 Arthur Kroepel, SP4 Robert Webb, and SP4 John Webb, began moving out towards the bunker complex, with the infantry section acting as flank security. Upon reaching the first bunker, M-79 rounds and frag grenades were used to engage the position. They then checked the bunker out and found it empty. Continuing the sweep, the Tigers found and destroyed six more bunkers. The right flank fired up and destroyed another three bunkers.

At 1255, the right flank began to receive automatic weapons and light machine-gun fire. An RPG round landed near the center of the formation, wounding two LRRPs. Suppressive fire was directed on the enemy position and the firing ceased. SGT Charles Wall, SP4 Freddie Rogers, PFC Alfredo Acuna, and PFC Thomas Hall, quickly set up a small perimeter around the wounded LRRPs. PFC Hall began first aid treatment on the wounded. The machine gun opened up again, and the scout section, with an assist from SSG Vincent D. Fernandez and SP4 James Murray knocked it out with grenades and M-79 fire.

The point section, then on the left, began to receive fire. The Kit Carson scouts could hear the NVA soldiers rallying and yelling to each other to "make a rush and finish off the GI's". Evidently the NVA soldiers were under the impression that there was only a heavy LRRP team (12 men) to their front, and a few were wounded. The NVA soldiers came, and ran into a wall of unmoving Blue Tigers. SSG Fernandez spotted and nailed one NVA soldier as he was coming out of a bunker. SP4 Lambert got another, and a third NVA soldier made the mistake of standing on top of a bunker - the entire scout section claimed and nailed him. During the fire fight, which lasted about forty minutes, two Blue Tigers were slightly wounded by shrapnel from an RPG round. They were SP4 Paul F. Scanlon, a Bostonian by accent, and PFC Larry C. Brookman, who joined the troop three weeks ago and was on his first mission. A few more enemy soldiers were spotted in the woods, di di-ing the area. The Tigers unleashed another barrage, but there were no confirmed KIAs.

Gunships were called in again and made several runs, just a few meters from the Tigers' position, giving covering action so the Tigers could pull back and evacuate the wounded. Two dust-off ships came in and were shot up. On one ship was SGT Gene Haines, the senior medic. His ship was shot up and crashed, but all hands made it out before the fuel tanks exploded. A third dust-off ship reached the wounded and removed them to medical aid. Another gunship run was called in and the Blue Tigers used its cover to collect their equipment and move back to their original LZ, where they were extracted at 1545.

Later that day, two line companies of the 25th Infantry Division, were inserted into the area and confirmed that the base camp was large enough to house up to two battalions of NVA soldiers. The swift action of the Blue Tigers contributed greatly to the accomplishment of the mission.

Thomas Hall
From the Don Miller Collection


The month of March saw D Troop in its roles as both a supporting and independent unit. During the month, the Blue Tigers had separate areas of operation. The first period being from the third to the seventh of March and the second, known as Operation Snoopy, stretched from March 10 to 17. D Troop had three platoons engaged in Operation Snoopy; two platoons conducting reconnaissance sweeps during the day while the other provided three night ambush sites. The operation resulted in the destroying of 6 tunnels and 4 bunkers along with numerous articles of NVA clothing and field gear being discovered.

The supporting unit role of D Troop was conducted with Co D, 75th Infantry (Rangers) LRRPs. While in support of the Rangers, D Troop maintained a reaction force used for the securing of downed aircraft. The platoon, led by 1LT Robert F. Bennett, of East Brunswick, New Jersey, was joined by C Troop, 3/17 Air Cav, when one of the aircraft came down in the proximity of an enemy base camp. The craft was reclaimed and the troops removed without enemy contact.

The middle of the month brought all Blue Tigers together for the first time in six months. It was a time of gay festivities, renewed acquaintances, and all the beer or soda one desired. A band and live female entertainment gave the men a chance to forget all worries and have a good time. As a conclusion to the party, LTC Gordon T. Carey of Belair, Maryland, commander of the 3/17 Air Cav, was welcomed as an honorary Blue Tiger and presented with the Red Beret.

D Troop continued to hassle the enemy in the latter part of March. Their role as a support unit to the 75th Infantry LRRPs ending with March, D Troop looks forward to April in hopes that they will spend the month working exclusively with their sister troops of 3rd Squadron, 17th Air Cav.

Lt. Robert Bennett looking for the opportunity
to waste his youth
From the Robert Bennett Collection

The actual "live female entertainment" at Di An
with whom Bennett hoped to waste his youth.
From the Robert Bennett Collection.



Bronze Star "V"

SP4 Leroy Gavigan
SP4 Bradley Mandel

Purple Hearts

SP4 Paul Scanlon
PFC Larry Brookman

Air Medals

SSG William Harris
SGT William Keeney
SP4 James Garner
SP4 Terry Kirkbride
SP4 Carey Livingston
SP4 William Newall
SP4 Robert Pheasant
Sp4 Paul Scanlon
SP4 Eddie Scott

Army Commendation "S"

SGT Maurice Bone
SGT Roger Reiling
SP5 Kenneth Nakamaejo
SP4 Eugene Pierce
SP4 Jackie Ridge


to SGT E-5

Curtis Morefield
Gary Merrill
David Smith
Charles Well

to SP4

Jesus Aquino
Marvin Carlisle
Robert Carroll
Joseph Elswick
Leroy Gavigan
Ronald Hill
James Hopkins
Sylvester Jackson
Johnny Mattingly
Robert McCoy
Edward McClellian
Edward Renden
Clark Rogers

to PFC

Jerry Brackin
Jerry Douglas
Robert Elstrodt
Sanford Fant
Jerry Gardas
Charles Gibbons
Willaim Thorson

Jesus Aquino, affectionately known as "the Cuban"
From the Bill DeMusey Collection

From the May 1970 issue of Redhorse Review


by SP/4 Carey J. Livingston

At 0530, on April 25, 1970, the second platoon (D Troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry) was on ambush at AO tiger near Nhon Trach. PFC Michael Langnehs was on guard. Upon spotting movement, he awoke me, his team leader. When I looked, I saw a man jump into the bushes, and I quickly awoke the rest of my team. I contacted SSG (Michael) Mirales, the section leader, and he in turn contacted the Command Post about our sighting. I returned to my men, SP/4 Dale Rossi, PFC Langnehs, PFC Thomas Bellart, PFC Nelson Garcia, and PFC Jerry Gardas, and they informed me that they had seen "fifty VC". I received permission to blow the ambush. We waited for a few more minutes and blew our claymores together. A few minutes passed as we tried to detect movement. We saw several enemy moveing away from our position and my team opened up with their rifles, spraying the area in front of us. We received flanking assistance from SSG Mirales's team, consisting of SP/4 William Newall and SP/4 Danny Smith. When we finished firing, we could hear low moaning noises coming from our front. I then called in some 105 and 155mm artillery about 500 meters to our front in order to provide a blocking action and keep the enemy pinned down. While the artillery was coming in, we waited for it to get light. Then my team moved out to make a sweep of the area, reconning by fire as we entered the woodline. Thirty meters out we found one body and blood-soaked equipment. The uniform had been torn off the body. There were several more blood trails going deeper into the woods, so we called in the rest of the platoon for a final sweep. Elements of the 2/47th Mechanized moved around behind the contact site with their armored personnel carriers and swept from the rear.

NOTE: Upon assessing all the facts and documents, it was learned that SP Livingston's team engaged the Headquarters section of the VC/NVA D-2 Battalion, killing the Executive Officer, S-1 officer, another officer, and two other unidentified individuals. Blood trails and pools indicated another four individuals who were either killed or heavily wounded. Among the equipment found were documents, maps, rice, whiskey, tea, and a new K-54 Chicom pistol. Also, various medals (VC) were found, which are now being proudly worn on the bush hats of Team 25.

From the Webmaster:

Michael William Langnehs, who plays a significant role in the story at left, was known to his friends as "Jarhead". Jarhead was killed at Nhon Trach ten months and one day after the action recounted in the story. Perhhaps this is the most appropriate place to honor his life and his service to his country.

From Official U.S. Army Records

Bob Bennett Photo


--- General / Personal ---

Last name: LANGNEHS
Home of Record (official): SHIVELY
State (official): KY
Date of Birth: Thursday, June 1, 1950
Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian
Marital Status: Single

--- Military ---

Branch: Army
Rank: SGT
Serial Number: 406720694
Component: Regular
Pay grade: E5
MOS (Military Occupational Specialty code): 11H40
Major Organization: USARV

--- Action ---

Start of Tour: Thursday, March 19, 1970
Date of Casualty: Friday, February 26, 1971
Age at time of loss: 20
Casualty type: (A1) Hostile, died
Reason: Other explosive device (Ground casualty)
Country: South VietNam
Province: Bien Hoa
The Wall: Panel 04W - Row 007


by SGT David Smith

In April, the Blue Tigers were engaged in a mission that required use of all their knowledge, training, and skills. Beginning on April 15, 1970, the Blue Tigers moved two line platoons, the commo section, parts of the mess hall and motor pool down to an area below Nhon Trach, to work with the 2/47th Mech, 9th Infantry Division. The 2/47th had a full mechanized battalion working in the area - armored personnel carriers, tanks, and 3/4 ton trucks with mounted .50 cal machine guns.

The mission of the Blue Tigers was: provide force reconnaissance for 2/47th; provide a mobile blocking force, along with mobile artillery; and establish ambushes along the main roads of the area. D Troop also provided periodic "thunder runs" - driving vehicles along a woodline by an enemy base camp and saturating the area with M-16, M-60, M-79 fire and 106 beehive rounds.

On April 21, 1970, the Blue Tigers established their CP about 1000 meters from the 2/47th CP. At 1030 hours, the Blue Tiger CP began to receive light weapons and .51 cal enemy fire around their position. Although the men quickly returned fire into the woodline, enemy sniping continued until 1200 hours, when APC's from the 2/47th came up on line and swept the enemy position. One man, Sp4 Harry L. Miller, of the 3rd platoon, was wounded slightly by shrapnel from an enemy rocket.

On the 25th, D Troop consolidated their CP with that of the 2/47th, and set up in a large clearing between two woodlines. The base camp measured about 200 meters in diameter. Chow for the Tigers was cooked and served on the back of a deuce-and-a-half, and the TOC was located on the bed of a 3/4 ton truck.

The men of D Troop scored five confirmed enemy KIA's and four more possible kills. The 2/47th had 12 confirmed kills and the ARVN unit working in the same area recorded 102 kills. in action on April 26, the 2/47th unleashed a barrage of 105mm and 155mm fire on a small known enemy base camp, dropping the first rounds behind the camp and "walking" them in and through. The enemy advanced in front of the rounds, only to walk into a carefully planned ambush set by ARVN soldiers.

The Blue Tigers did most of their work at night, setting out 6-8 six-man ambush teams about seven klicks from the base camp. If contact was made during the night, by either the Tigers or the 2/47th, the men of D Troop went in the following day and conducted a reconnaissance sweep of the area, looking for a body count and any intelligence information or signs of further enemy activity.

There were many base camps in the area. Each day, F101 jets and planes from the RVN Air Force conducted bombing raids within 5-10 miles of the base camp, hitting new targets where enemy activity had been suspected.

Yet, with all the activity in the area, the men enjoyed an afternoon or a day off, and the Blue Tigers were no exception. For such occasion, they built a swimming pool in the field. Using the field-expedient method, the men took advantage of an old 1000-pound bomb crater nearby. With some heavy equipment, the crater was dug deeper and wider, and filled with Vietnam's own muddy water. It was a place to cool off when that hot sun got to be too much. There were always a couple dozen men floating around on air mattresses with cokes or beer in their hands, reminiscing about the good old days at the swimming hole.

From the Don Miller Collection



Bronze Star

CPT William R. Condos

Air Medal

SSG Richard A. Wallace
SP4 Ernest W. Bowman
SP4 Douglas K. Peck
SP4 Carey J. Livingston

Army Commendation Medal "Service"

SGT Curtis H. Morefield
SP4 Joseph Malseed
SP4 Warren W. Smith

Army Commendation Medal "A"

SSG Richrd A. Wallace
SP4 Timothy Bilbrey
SP4 Warren W. Smith
SP4 H.P. Terry



Peter S. Russo

To SP4

Alfredo Acuna
Sammy Adams
Larry C. Brookman
Thomas Clouse
Glenn D. Guidry
Thomas Hall
Earl J. Harris
Johnny Martinez
Donald A. Miller
Garry Patty
Eldon Preuss
Kenneth Robillard
Dale Rossi
Danny L. Smith

Donald A. Miller
From the Don Miller collection

From the July 1970 issue of Redhorse Review


Colonel John C. Hughes, commanding officer, 12th Aviation Group, Combat, pinned the Silver Star Medal on four members of the 3d Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry, for valorous action during enemy confrontation.

In ceremonies held at Di An on June 26, 1970, Colonel Hughes awarded the medal to three members of Delta Troop, Captain Ronald E. McEwen, Staff Sergeant Vincent D. Fernandez, and Sergeant Alvin D. Lambert, and one member of Bravo Troop, Captain Douglas M. Bohrisch.

On March 22, 1970, elements of the First Platoon of Delta Troop were inserted to assist a heavy LRRP team in contact. CPT McEwen, the platoon leader, positioned his men to aid the entroubled LRRPs. SSG Fernandez, platoon sergeant, and SGT Lambert, scout section leader, engaged three enemy soldiers, killing two themselves while the platoon brought down the third. The platoon rescued the LRRP team, made a sweep of the area, and called in helicopter gunships, resulting in eleven KIA . . .


. . . Delta Troop (Blue Tigers) was sent to Fire Support Base Rob, 12 miles south of Song Be. There, they were working with Charlie and Bravo Batteries, 5/2 Arty. Delta's mission in the area was to provide road reconnaissance and convoy security between Song Be and Dong Xoi. The Tigers would sweep the road each morning and afternoon. In the nearly two months Delta Troop pulled the road missions, they found a total of thirty-five mines. These mines were destroyed without loss of life or equipment to American and South Vietnamese forces. . .

Editor's Note: In orders awarding the Vietnamese Medal of Gallantry to Delta Troopers, dated 2 July, 1970, the location of Delta Troop's activities are further specified. The citation states, in part:

. . . During the support operation to assist the two [Vietnamese] 1/8 and 3/8 battalions, 5th [Vietnamese] Infantry Division in a mission of securing the inter-provincial route 1-A (Binh-Long, Phuoc-Long Province) operated from 6 May 70 to 30 June 70. . .

The Song Be - Dong Xoi AO


by SGT David V. Smith


Complying with their motto: "Go Ahead On Blue Tigers!", the men of D Troop are doing just that, and doing a fine job of it also. Still working in the Phuc Vinh - Song Be area, the Blue Tigers continue to thwart Charlies' efforts at harrassment. Although the VC-NVA in the area have cut down on the number of mines planted, the Tigers still find them all. An additional ten mines were found this month, before they could do any damage. An average of 100 vehicles travel the road each day, without having to worry, for the Blue Tigers are standing by.

June 2 was another red-letter day for the Blue Tigers, for they were once more authorized to proudly wear the red beret. This mark of distinction was initially awarded to D Troop in early 1967 when they went through an intensified period of Ranger Training at Dahlonega, Georgia, before departing for RVN. At the end of the training, the Tigers were given a set of tactical field problems to solve. They not only solved the problems in record time, but broke many records held by the training committee there. For their outstanding job, Delta Troop was awarded the Special Forces Red Beret. Since that time, the Tigers have continued to perform in a manner upholding to the Red Beret.

Sadness was brought to D Troop on June 8, when the Tigers lost one of its fine men, Clark (Catfish) Rogers. He was killed when his vehicle overturned while returning from Phuc Vinh with a resupply of ammunition. Clark spent ten months in Vietnam with the Blue Tigers. Memorial services were held the following day at Fire Support Base Rob. The prayers and sympathy of Delta Troop go with his family. One is tempted to recall the words from the Kingston Trio Ballad, "The Ballad of Ruben James": "I wonder why the worst of men must fight, and the best of men must die."

Delta Troop's stay in the Song Be area is drawing to a close. The Troop is due to return to Di An for a five-day standdown and maintenance on June 30. Then they will probably return to their old stomping grounds in Nhon Trach Province.

The highlights of the Tigers' stay in the area came on June 25, when Colonel John C. Hughes' (commanding officer, 12th Aviation Group, Combat) Corn Cob 6 chopper landed at FSB Rob. Colonel Hughes brought a large cake with the words, "Well Done Blue Tigers" written on the top. He also had congratulations from Lt. General Michael S. Davison, II Field Force commander. LTG Davison recognized the men for their outstanding performance and record in the area.On June 26, an awards ceremony was held at Squadron Parade Field. Receiving the Silver Star Medal from Colonel Hughes, were CPT Donald E. McEwen, SSG Vincent D. Fernandez, and SGT Alvin D. Lambert.

The Red Beret of the Blue Tigers,
first authorized by the Secretary of War in 1967,
was reauthorized to the Blue Tigers in June 1970.

From Official U.S. Army Records


--- General / Personal ---

Last name: ROGERS
Home of Record (official): THOMASVILLE
State (official): NC
Date of Birth: Saturday, July 9, 1949
Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian
Marital Status: Single

--- Military ---

Branch: Army
Rank: SP4
Serial Number: 238809294
Component: Selective Service
Pay grade: E4
MOS (Military Occupational Specialty code): 11D20
Major Organization: 1st Aviation Bde

--- Action ---
Start of Tour: Tuesday, October 7, 1969
Date of Casualty: Monday, June 8, 1970
Age at time of loss: 20
Casualty type: (C1) Non-hostile, died of other causes
Reason: Vehicle loss, crash (Ground casualty)
Country: South VietNam
Province: Phuoc Long
The Wall: Panel 09W - Row 029

Clark (Catfish) Rogers
From the Gary Kerbow Collection



Glenn V. Davis
George E. Gibson
Roger Kahle
Terry R. Kirkbride
Harry L. Miller
William Newall
Jerry Overby

To SP4

Jerry Brackin
Michael Daniel
Robert E. Elstrodt
Keith Hibbard
Phillip Kammerer
Robert Hutchinson
William Thorson


Air Medals

1LT Robert F. Bennett
SP4 Jesus M. Aquino
SP4 William S. DeMusey
SP4 Arthur E. Kroepel
SGT Alvin D. Lambert
SP4 Donald C. Lanier
SP4 John I. Simmerson
SGT H.P. Terry
SP4 Robert Webb
SP4 Donald. C Wicker
SP4 Jerry L. Zwetow


Bill DeMusey was Blue Tiger 30 Delta - RTO for the 3rd platoon leader, Keith Kudla. Bill also wrote (occasionally under orders) to his Mom, and she saved the letters. The combination of the two gives Bill an excellent recollection of where Delta Troop was and what it was doing from September 1969 to September 1970. You can find his notes and pictures here.

Don Miller served with Delta Troop in 1969 and 1970 also. He sent in a lot of pictures, but, like most of us, he does not remember many of the names of the Delta Troopers he served with. Take a look at Don's page and see if you can identify any old friends.

Bob Bennett was Blue Tiger 20. He took a lot of pictures, but no notes as to who or what he was photographing. Since he was an officer, he needs lots of extra help identifying people and places in his photos. His pages start here.


The graphics and intellectual property at this site are the private property of the donors exclusively, and are protected by copyright law. Any commercial or for-profit use without permission is illegal and is expressly denied. Not-for-profit, educational, and similar organizations may be granted use of material contained herein upon application to Bill Nevius.